No display after trying to boot into Safe mode

RTLK

Post by RTLK »

Issue:
PC powers on but no video display is projected to the monitor.

Backstory:
1. "Intel Arc control" stopped working after I installed their latest update and the only solution I saw online was to do a clean install of said program after using DDU.

2. Installed DDU, checked click 'Enable Safe Mode dialog', and after clicking relaunch into safe mode, my display went out and didn't return; even after waiting 20 minutes.

3. Tried soft resetting multiple times and even tried hard resetting 3times to enter Windows Recovery Environment (winRE) and neither option has worked.

PC info:
Origin MILLENNIUM 5000X
Windows 11(x64)
RTX 3080 Ti + integrated Intel

Not sure what else to try outside of making a windows 11 recovery usb. Any ideas appreciated, thanks!

PS. I've used DDU in the past and thought i had ran it before on the PC i just bricked :lol: :roll:
Last edited by RTLK on Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: No display after trying to boot into Safe mode

Post by Wagnard »

RTLK wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:55 am Issue:
PC turns on but no display is projected to the monitor.

Backstory:
1. "Intel Arc control" stopped working after I installed their latest update and the only solution I saw online was to do a clean install of said program after using DDU.

2. Installed DDU, checked click 'Enable Safe Mode dialog', and after clicking relaunch into safe mode, my display went out and didn't return; even after waiting 20 minutes.

3. Tried soft resetting multiple times and even tried hard resetting 3times to enter Windows Recovery Environment (winRE) and neither option has worked.

PC info:
Origin brand
Windows 11(x64)
GTX+intel graphic cards

Not sure what else to try outside of making a windows 11 recovery usb. Any ideas appreciated, thanks!

PS. I've used DDU in the past and thought i had ran it before on the PC i just bricked :lol: :roll:
Hi,
Do youu see the bios post? we're you seeing it before?
the only thins DDU does when you selected to boot in safe mode is add a line to the BCDEDIT, safe boot

this can be easily removed if you can boot. from a USB stick
RTLK

Post by RTLK »

hello and thanks for the reply.

A. Do youu see the bios post? we're you seeing it before?

A> If your asking if I've accessed the BIOS menu on this currently broken PC before this issue arose then the answer is no.

B. this can be easily removed if you can boot. from a USB stick

B> What would be the steps to complete this process?
cassado10

Post by cassado10 »

Wagnard wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:53 pm
RTLK wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:55 am Issue:
PC turns on but no display is projected to the monitor.

Backstory:

PC info:
Origin brand
Windows 11(x64)
GTX+intel graphic cards

Hi,
Do youu see the bios post? we're you seeing it before?
the only thins DDU does when you selected to boot in safe mode is add a line to the BCDEDIT, safe boot

this can be easily removed if you can boot. from a USB stick
I could do that from a USB stick
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

RTLK wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:17 am hello and thanks for the reply.

A. Do youu see the bios post? we're you seeing it before?

A> If your asking if I've accessed the BIOS menu on this currently broken PC before this issue arose then the answer is no.

B. this can be easily removed if you can boot. from a USB stick

B> What would be the steps to complete this process?
For the bios I mean if you can see its logo when you are booting the computer.

also if I understand, you also. have a nvidia gtx in the same computer. if that's the case, shutdown the computer and plus the. monitor cable in this one.
techbically you should be able to see something when bootinb the computer, bios logo or windows loading.
if you see absolutly nothing, the problem is more than just the option of DDU to boot in safe mode.

For the USB key, just a normal windows installation key would do I think
RTLK

Post by RTLK »

1. For the bios I mean if you can see its logo when you are booting the computer.

1.) Whether its through HDMI or DisplayPort, my PC is no longer sending a video signal for my monitor to receive, making it impossible to see anything, let alone BIOS. I even swapped out the cables and the monitor just to be sure it wasn't hardware related.

2. also if I understand, you also. have a nvidia gtx in the same computer. if that's the case, shutdown the computer and plus the. monitor cable in this one.techbically you should be able to see something when bootinb the computer, bios logo or windows loading.
if you see absolutly nothing, the problem is more than just the option of DDU to boot in safe mode.

2.) Although I have no idea what's going on, the guide for this program indicated that an error could occur if a computer wasn't properly set up for safe mode. If that's the case here, then what would be the simplest solution to fix said issue, as I'm assuming this isn't the first time this has happened to someone.

3. For the USB key, just a normal windows installation key would do I think

3.) I did make a Windows 11 recovery usb but plugging it in alone didn't solve anything and I don't have a way to tell the PC to load from usb to test out if that would even fix the issue.

At this point all i can think of is shorting the CMOS jumper on my motherboard to reset BIOS and hope that fixes the issue.
Last edited by RTLK on Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

RTLK wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:51 am 1. For the bios I mean if you can see its logo when you are booting the computer.

1.) Whether its through HDMI or DisplayPort my PC is no longer sending a video signal for my monitor to receive making it impossible to see anything let alone BIOS.

2. also if I understand, you also. have a nvidia gtx in the same computer. if that's the case, shutdown the computer and plus the. monitor cable in this one.techbically you should be able to see something when bootinb the computer, bios logo or windows loading.

2.) Although I have no idea what's going on, the guide for this program indicated that an error could occur if a computer wasn't properly set up for safe mode. If that's the case here then what would be the simplest solution to fix said issue, as I'm assuming this isn't the first time this has happened to someone.

3. For the USB key, just a normal windows installation key would do I think

3.) I did make a Windows 11 recovery usb but plugging it in alone didn't solve anything and I don't have a way to tell the PC to load from usb to test out if that would even fix the issue.

At this point all i can think of is shorting the CMOS jumper on my motherboard to reset BIOS and hope that fixes the issue.
yes I was about to suggest to reset your cmos and maybe reseat your cards.
DDU definitely cannot cause the issue to prevent displaying the bios, in theory, the worse thing that could happen is breaking a Windows installation but you would still see the computer post and be able to enter the bios.
RTLK

Post by RTLK »

Tried resetting the BIOS through shorting the CMOS and it did not fix the issue. When booting the PC after shorting the CMOS I can visually see my PC shutdown and restart back up ( something it doesn't do normally ) so I"m assuming even though the BIOS is reset there's still another issue.

While I can't say what the issue is, DDU DEFINITELY caused it, as my computer was functioning fine before using the program. Even if this is a unique case caused by not having run Safe mode previously, that doesn't make DDU's potential to soft brick PC's any less real, as currently I don't see any other option to remedy the issue outside of taking my PC to a computer repair store.

I'm still open to suggestions as I've already exhausted all the options I can think of to fix this issue.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

RTLK wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:59 pm Tried resetting the BIOS through shorting the CMOS and it did not fix the issue. When booting the PC after shorting the CMOS I can visually see my PC shutdown and restart back up ( something it doesn't do normally ) so I"m assuming even though the BIOS is reset there's still another issue.

While I can't say what the issue is, DDU DEFINITELY caused it, as my computer was functioning fine before using the program. Even if this is a unique case caused by not having run Safe mode previously, that doesn't make DDU's potential to soft brick PC's any less real, as currently I don't see any other option to remedy the issue outside of taking my PC to a computer repair store.

I'm still open to suggestions as I've already exhausted all the options I can think of to fix this issue.
The multiple resetting after the the cmos reset is normal on some/recent motherboard and is related to memory training. It should not happen again unless some settings are changed in the bios.
I suggest you try a computer shop as they could swap hardware easily.
If you did not run it into safe mode, the errors are only related to files/directory that can't be removed because they are in use (nothing critical).
DevonIrvin

Post by DevonIrvin »

RTLK wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:59 pm Tried resetting the BIOS through shorting the CMOS and it did not fix the issue. When booting the PC after shorting the CMOS I can visually see my PC shutdown and restart back up ( something it doesn't do normally ) so I"m assuming even though the BIOS is reset there's still another issue.

Have you fixed the issue? If yes, can you tell me how you fixed it?